General Statement of Duties:
Provides leadership and oversight to agency’s accounting, accounts payable and payroll staff and processes. Prepares and maintains financial records to track the organizations assets, liabilities, and revenue activities. Performs accounting duties in accordance with policies and procedures that include collecting, processing, entering, posting, verifying, reconciling, and reporting functions. Oversees and provides direction to the accounts payable processes and payroll processes. Will serve as back up as needed for duties completed by team members. The position requires the ability to effectively communicate with others, manage a variety of tasks and be able to help team members meet deadlines in a timely manner. In addition, the position requires exceptional attention to detail, strong spreadsheet and financial software skills, the capacity for handling a high volume workflow that may involve competing demands, and the ability to adapt to new work procedures as well as maintaining confidentiality. This position reports to the Controller.
This position is classified Exempt under the provision of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Major Essential Functions:
- Provides leadership and oversight to the accounting, accounts payable and payroll processes and staff. Directly supervises accounting, accounts payable and payroll staff; directs day-to-day functions related to accounting, accounts payable and payroll.
- In collaboration with Controller, makes recommendations for hire for accounting, accounts payable and payroll staff.
- Provides oversight and staff supervision for activities associated with general ledger, accounts payable, and internal control.
- In consultation with Controller, interprets, implements and assesses staff compliance with related Board policies and procedures. Designs, develops, coordinates, and maintains implementation of new and/or modified accounting/recording policies and procedures.
- Provides support to Senior Accountant in preparing journal entries for month-end closing as assigned based on the closing schedule and performs duty in the absence of Senior Accountant.
- Oversees the process of reconciliation of AR Activity in Credible to the general ledger in ERP software completed by Senior Accountant. Revenue export from Credible to posting in Dynamics. Performs duty in the absence of Senior Accountant.
- In collaboration with Senior Accountant, maintains schedules and supporting documentation for all asset and liability accounts. Other team members provide aging reports for AR and AP, payroll liabilities, and other process areas. All general ledger reconciliations are reviewed by Controller during closing.
- Monitors and as needed, prepares reimbursement request for services provided under grant reimbursement status.
- Supervises payroll process and coordinating payroll direct deposit. Review payroll maintenance entries and adjustments. Review preliminary payroll register and oversee necessary adjustments. Reconciles and prepares quarterly federal payroll taxes filing and required year-end filings.
- Serves as primary backup to the Payroll Specialist and is able to complete payroll independently.
- Liaison between Human Resources and payroll for system issues and payroll discrepancies.
- Key in orientation and training for payroll position and general ledger activities.
- In coordination with the Senior Accountant, is responsible for coordinating and/or completing monthly checklist of items for Controller’s review and sign off.
- Maintains confidentiality of financial and payroll data within the agency and especially within the finance team.
- Understanding of ERP system, reporting and provides assistance to other team members as needed.
- Works with team members to timely follow up and resolution of account discrepancies or issues identified as it relates to general ledger, cash accounts, payments, or payroll.
- Reviews transactions are coded to the correct GL account and department (RU), and/or program.
- Manages the appropriate timing of payments to vendors, employees and various payroll withholdings.
- Maintains operating checking account and oversees preparation of manual checks in accordance with policy. Makes bank deposits and/or logging in mail receipts as needed.
- Oversees the reporting deadlines for tax filings are met including preparation of W-2’s.
- Provides ad-hoc reporting at the request of Controller and/or Leadership Team.
- Maintains and supports internal controls for all financials as identified.
- Completes time sensitive tasks in the Controllers absence.
- Serves as the primary backup for Senior Accountant.
- Assists with annual audit preparation as needed.
- Maintains effective relationships with co-workers and clients based on courtesy, compassion, and respect.
- Is responsible for other duties as assigned, consistent with established Board policy and procedures.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of general financial accounting and cost accounting.
- Understanding of and the ability to adhere to generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or similar software, and ERP software-Dynamics preferred, but not required.
- Works independently, but coordinate responsibilities and assignments with the work of others as needed; seeks and use supervision appropriately
- Makes decisions and initiate action based on established policies and procedures.
Minimum Educational Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in business related field required (Accounting, Finance, Economics, etc); at least three years of related experience required, preferable if candidate has supervisory experience OR any equivalent combination of experience or training which provides required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Equipment: PC and designated software, adding machine/calculator, copy machine, fax machine, printer, document scanner, and telephone system.
Work Environment: General office environment with normal lighting levels, temperature ranges, air quality, ventilation, and noise levels.
Work Location: 1241 North Main Street Campus, Harrisonburg, VA
Work Hazards: Some hazard associated with repetitive motion necessary for data entry/typing; standard hazards associated with human services environment.
Work Schedule: Monday – Friday between 8am – 5pm; additional hours as needed to perform job requirements. Regular attendance is required. This position is required to take at least five consecutive days of leave each year.