General Statement of Duties:
Responsible for planning, implementation, operation, and support of the CSB’s information system operations, focusing on data management, reporting, and application development and implementation including EHR administration.
Distinguishing Features of Work:
A primary goal is to assist the IT Manager with efforts to maximize agency efficiency and performance as a behavioral health care provider. This position is responsible for meeting the CSB’s information management and reporting needs through the development, implementation and support of a diverse array of computer technologies, software, and end-user training and support. The incumbent works under the supervision of the IT Manager.
This position is classified as exempt under the provision of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Major Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
Ensures agency data management and reporting needs can be met:
- Ensures data management systems are coordinated, effective, efficient, and user friendly
- Serves as primary admin and SME for EHR system
- Audits data quality and integrity with internal compliance team
- Ensures internal reports can be produced in an accurate and timely fashion
- Ensures external reports are produced and submitted in compliance with requirements
- Works with management to develop and execute strategic management reports
Researches, develops, implements, and maintains automated systems and methods:
- Researches and reviews technologies to assess their value as a means to meeting established goals and agency requirements
- Works closely with the IT Manager to develop, implement, support, and maintain all facets of the agency’s information system including clinical and administrative functions and record keeping
- Documents system design and administration procedures
Orients, trains, and supports staff in the proper use agency’s information system:
- Develops and facilitates information system training in a variety of formats for end-user consumption, and maintains instructional material.
- Provides cross training to other IT staff to allow limited coverage of critical tasks during periods of absence.
Provides backup coverage for other Information Systems staff:
- Provides direct technical assistance with variety of computer hardware and software, including desktop workstations, office automation software, and mobile devices
- Installs desktop hardware and software and moves computer equipment
- Assists with production and maintenance of Internet and Intranet content
- Installs, configures, monitors, and maintains network technologies including switches, hubs, routers, firewalls, VPNs, and telecommunication lines
- Installs, configures, and maintains a variety of server technologies, including e-mail, HTTP, domain controllers, file servers, and directory servers
- Monitors application compliance with HIPAA regulations. Documents and quickly corrects issues and incidents.
Maintains effective relationships with co-workers and customers based on courtesy, compassion, and respect.
Assures compliance with agency policies and regulatory requirements.
Coordinates work activities and assignments with other IT, administrative and/or management staff.
Responsible for special projects and other duties consistent with established policies and procedures.
Required Knowledge, Skill, and Abilities:
In general this position requires a thorough working knowledge of database design and management and data extraction and reporting techniques using a variety of Open Source and proprietary tools. Incumbent should have a strong background in application design, development, and implementation. Some knowledge and experience with Linux and network systems administration, EHR or similar system administration and end-user desktop support is preferred. Strong troubleshooting skills are essential. The incumbent must have excellent reasoning, logic, and pattern recognition abilities to enhance troubleshooting skills, the ability to learn new technologies quickly, good communication and writing skills, and a superior attention to detail. Commitment to internal service, good interpersonal and excellent teamwork skills, good judgment, dependability, and efficiency is required.
Thorough knowledge of the following is required:
- Database design and management, data extraction and reporting
- Advanced SQL, and some experience with end-user reporting tools
- Web application development and Web standards, with a demonstrated talent for Web design including WordPress.
Some knowledge of the following is preferred:
- Configuring and supporting Microsoft Windows desktops in a Linux server environment
- LAN/WAN infrastructure, and Internet/Intranet server technologies
- Knowledge of health care information systems, and the ability to understand user needs in system design
- Attention to detail and an ability to oversee and coordinate an integrated system of data management
- Commitment to internal service, good interpersonal and excellent teamwork skills, good judgment, dependability, and efficiency.
Minimum Experience and Education:
A degree in computer information systems, or related area preferred; two years experience in technical/support operations, preferably in a public and/or health care agency, OR any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Equipment: PC and other designated computer hardware and software; telephone and copier.
Work Environment: General office environment with normal lighting levels, temperature rages, air quality, ventilation, and noise levels. Occasional exposure to damp or dusty storage facilities.
Work Location: CSB facilities located in Harrisonburg, Virginia OR other local training space(s)/location(s) which may be available.
Work Hazards: Some hazards associated with moving and lifting computer equipment and working with exposed electronic circuitry. Occasional exposure to dusty environments. Minimal hazards associated with human services environment.
Work Schedule: Regular office hours Monday through Friday; additional hours as needed to perform job requirements including occasional afterhours and weekends.