The holidays are upon us. For many it’s a joyful time, if not stressful. For others this time of year brings sadness and loneliness. In either case it’s important to take care of ourselves every day, especially around the holidays. The Mayo Clinic offers the following tips for dealing with what comes our way during the holiday time.
- Acknowledge your feelings.– Practice mindfulness!
- Reach out. – There are many community activities during the holiday time. Find a way to connect.
- Be realistic.- Don’t be Clarke W. Griswold- Holidays are not perfect and that’s ok!
- Stick to a budget. – Money is often a source of stress at the holidays. Create a budget and stick to it and it will help reduce the holiday pressure.
- Plan ahead. – Make lists, delegate tasks, don’t try to do it all at once!
- Don’t abandon healthy habits. – All of that food can be tempting! Enjoy it, but in moderation.
- Take a breather. – Step away from the chaos of the holiday time and take a minute for yourself- take a walk, enjoy a song or two on your phone, read a book.
- Seek professional help if you need it. – There is help available!
See www.hrcsb.org for available services!
Don’t let the holidays be something you dread. Take care of yourself!